Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Light Unto My Path

Last Friday, as Jeremy and I traveled to Milwaukee to celebrate Christmas with his wonderful family, we drove through very dense fog. At certain times throughout our drive, we could barely see 10 feet in front of us! It gave me such a sense of uneasiness. We weren't really in control, and had to go slowly, trusting that the road would be there to meet us.

Later that night, as I lie in bed praying, I started to think about how relevant the fog is in my own life. Now, more than any other time in my life, I cannot see what lies ahead. In college, we knew (for the most part) that we were going to return for another two, three or four years. That we would live in that city, work part time and go to school to complete our degree. Then, we looked forward to our wedding day... and the plans of going to seminary the following year. All of it seemed to lay out so wonderfully before us. But we know as Christians that we never really know what lies ahead...whether it be 10 years, 10 weeks or 10 hours from now. God Himself says, "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, declares the Lord," (Isaiah 55). Truly, we cannot bank on anything but the Lord. No matter where we go, or how significant the changes in circumstances are, we must KNOW that He is before us. In fact, Psalm 139 reassures us, "You hem me in, behind and before,and lay Your hand upon me." What a true comfort. And so, Jeremy and I face a future that to us in like the unpainted canvas. The wonderful thing is, the Lord is the most magnificent artist and already has the painting planned and formed.

Thus, I learn another lesson in truly surrendering MY plans and MY ways, which are so futile, and cling to His sovereignty over the life He has graciously bestowed upon me. Although I seem to be walking on a path so dense and clouded with fog, I know that He provides sight for me to see one more step in front of me...and that is truly all we need. In His grace and mercy, He provides guidance and strength one step at a time through His holy word and the holy spirit. Similar to the sign in the picture above, He lets us know that He will never leave nor forsake us.

The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way - Psalm 37

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. - Psalm 119

Thankful for His faithfulness,

Kate

No comments: