Sunday, August 26, 2007

Marriage is a Growing Process

The following is a bit of "advise" ...can you call it that? on marriage that I wrote for one of my old friends that is getting married soon. I thought about how much I have to learn, and how exciting that is...but also about how much God has refined me and revealed Himself in just a few months... I would LOVE for those who are married (whether recently or for 50 years) to write their own thoughts.



As you begin your life together and enter a new phase of this narrow path we are on with Christ, I offer you a few tips from my three months of marriage thus far.

1. Pray together every day. Whether you do this in the morning or at night... this will be the foundation of your marriage. Pray for people in your lives, for God's will, specific situations and also, your marriage.

2. Be humble and selfless. This is obvious...all of them are actually, but all of them are essential. Put your husband before yourself in all things. Trust that God will meet your needs through Himself as well as your husband.

3. Trust and submit to your husband. He is to be as Christ is to the church- the head of you marriage. He will and should value your thoughts and opinions but ultimately, he makes the final calls. He has a huge responsibility that I thank God I do not have to undertake. The best thing you can do is love him through showing and living out your respect and trust for him.

4. Enjoy the simple moments together. At first, this is no problem. But with school, or working full time, or church involvements, family and friends and keeping a house or apartment running, you guys will get busy. Go for 15 minutes walks, snuggle before bed, or read a book together, one chapter a week to keep your connection. It is those little, meaningful things that will keep us all "in touch" with our spouses when life gets crazy busy. (and when is it NOT?!)

Love in Christ, Kate

2 comments:

Kyle Borg said...

Be sure to go to bed at the same time, which is why it's 3am and Rachel went to bed four hours ago.

Kate said...

Thanks Kyle that is such wisdom lived out!
Poor Rachel