This is Derek Webb singing Deliver Us. It isn't his best version but it is all I could find...ENJOY!
Deliver Us-Behold the Lamb of God
Our enemy, our captor is no pharaoh on the Nile
Our toil is neither mud nor brick nor sand
Our ankles bear no calluses from chains, yet Lord, we're bound
Imprisoned here, we dwell in our own land
Deliver us, deliver us
Oh Yahweh, hear our cry
And gather us beneath your wings tonight
Our sins they are more numerous than all the lambs we slay
These shackles they were made with our own hands
Our toil is our atonement and our freedom yours to giveS
o Yahweh, break our silence if you can
Deliver us, deliver us
Oh Yahweh, hear our cry
And gather us beneath your wings tonight
"Jerusalem, Jerusalem
How often I have longed
To gather you beneath my gentle wings"
5 comments:
Interesting song. Clearly has allusions to the captivity of Israel in Egypt, which made me wonder about a certain line in the song, "Imprisoned here, we dwell in our own land." Certainly Israel never viewed Egypt as "their" land or the land of promise (Genesis 15:7). Neither do we as Christians look at this world as our home, but we look forward to the city whose architect is God (Hebrews 11). So I am rather confused about that statement, how can we be imprisoned in our own land? This isn't our land, in our land we will have complete freedom. Seems like Webb has a bad view on Two Kingdoms :-)
I've read several of your comments. My question is- what do you like? It seems you only like to say what you don't like or what you disagree with.
Wow! Comments already!?! :) Kyle, I completely agree that this world is not our home...i thought the song was showing that even though our situations of imprisonment differentiate so greatly from the Isrealites, we are still largely imprisoned by our depravity. Of course the curse is cancelled out because of Christ's imputed righteouness, but we will never be completely free until heaven, which you mentioned. So although we have no physical chains, we are not covered in mud, we are stuck in a sense in our own materialistic, self-centered lifestyles and we live in a country that celebrates and showcases its depravity.
That is what I took it to mean...but I could be very wrong.
Anonymous...who is your comment directed towards exactly?
In Christ, Kate
Dear Anonymous,
Pretty funny you must remain "silent" with such a comment. At any rate, I like a lot of things. I like the fall, I like the smell of burning leaves, I like camp fires, I like spending time with my wife, I like good music, I like reading, I like climbing the bluffs, I like reading philosophy, I like burgers on a charcoal grill...shall I go on.
Before you point out my "obvious" pessimism perhaps you should inquire more. The only reason I stated that was because I generally really like Derek Webb (yep that's another thing I like, Derek Webb!). But that one line really doesn't make sense to me. Please note too, that I didn't say I disagreed with him, I am saying I don't understand it. Before you read for reaction, read for clarity.
Thanks,
Kyle
Kate, i love that song as well! That whole CD of Andrew Peterson's as awesome. Hey, i saw via facebook you were in the hospital, i hope you're doing better, please let me know if you need anything else, and i meant to mention that if you end up coming to the Mayo Clinic you guys are more than welcome to stay at my parents house- i know they would love to have company. So, just keep that in mind- its an open invitation! :)
Post a Comment