Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Chief End

Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever.
-Westminster Catechism

How does one enjoy God?

How do you personally enjoy God?

5 comments:

Kyle Borg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff and Alyse Paull said...

well katey, i linked to your blog from facebook and i just read for awhile. i can't believe all the stuff that is going on....

i'm just finishing up nursing school so all the tests and such are familiar to me...but how frustrating it must be to you to be in the dark.

i think the greatest encouragement that i give my patients is the assurance that God is the Great Physician...and how lucky we are for that. Yes, of course, I would pray for wisdom of the medical staff, but the fact that they are controlled by something greater is awesome. it's encouraging to see your trust in Him and i will pray for patience for yall to wait until the greatest doctor around decides to show you what He's doing :)

Dana said...

How do I enjoy God? Hmmm. The more I think about it, the more elusive it is. Like, I thought about nature and music and the Scriptures. But when I enjoy these things on a spiritual level, am I actually enjoying God? Or am I enjoying things God has created? I mean, I have moments where I am truly enjoying God and it's kind of indescribable. Most other times, I think I am communing with God and/or enjoying the gifts of God. I'm only beginning to wrap my mind around the idea of enjoying God. It seems so simple, but it's a little mysterious and I don't think I'll really totally get it this side of Heaven.

Or maybe I'm just a sub-par Christian. Haha.

Kate said...

Kyle,
I liked your comment...why did you delete it? Did you see I got catechism right now? :)
Alyse, Thank you so much for your kindness, please do pray for perseverence for us. I checked out YOUR blog and will be sure to continue to. I am so glad we are reconnecting. :)
Dana,
You bring up a wonderful point, in my opinion. How do we enjoy God and not merely His makings? How do we enjoy Him for Him and purely Him?

Jeremy and Kate said...

How do I enjoy God? Good question (since it is a question I asked Kate a while ago). This is something that I have been thinking of for about a year now. I think the heart of this question deals with how we view and focus on the glory of God. While listening to a sermon a while back, the pastor asked his congregation questions, with the whole purpose to get them to focus on the glory of God. A few of the questions were, have you ever had your hunger satisfied? Have you ever tasted desire for another? Have you ever sat outside on a warm day, walked in the breeze, sat under the sun? This quote stood out to me the most: "God did not create the world as a temptation to idolotary, but he created many appetizers." The point being, everything that is created is made with the purpose of us seeing a bit of the glory of God, and enjoying him for being the creator. Many things in the world has been perverted, so we do not naturally think of them as showing us the glory of God. But that certainly does not mean that they are outside of the glory of God.

That being said, I have no idea still what it means to truly enjoy God. The one thing I am positive about, is that God is teaching me the meaning of enjoyment, and He is gracious enough to be patient with a cracked jar of clay as he changes me.

-Jeremy