9 And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, 10 so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. 11 May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, 12 giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. 13 He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
-Colossians 1:9-13
I have been thinking a lot about thankfulness. When you go through a bit of a scare like we did this last week, you start to really reflect. One thing I have learned (although perhaps not learned to practice as much as I should), is the importance of perspective and having a heart full of thankfulness. This week I found myself thanking God for each day, despite pain, headaches or exhausting. Thanking God that I can see, hear, touch His beauty. Thanking God for family and friends, however far away or busy. Each day IS precious. Each day is not easy, but it is still one more day I have to enjoy the gifts given by God. I pray that Jeremy and I, as well as all those around us who are going through a difficult time will be "strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy..."
It is by HIS glorious might that we are given grace to endure another day, another hour, another moment. This is ALWAYS true, whether we realize it or not. When we go through times of hardship, we actually notice our need for Him, but it is a constant, unconditional need for Him is something that cannot be escaped or avoided.
SO here are a few things I am thankful for in this moment,
for the beauty of the bluffs in my backyard
for Saturdays to sleep in
for an amazing husband who is supportive, godly and humble
for a church family that is so willing to help and exemplifies what it means to care
for friends that called and e-mailed or stopped by this week to physically show their kindness and prayers in action
for not having a tumor (praise God!)
for a few nice hugs and a great prayer from my dad before the MRI's
for safety
for provision for what we NEED, and not for what we may want
for the smell of fall
for being able to take off work for a while to try to make some progress
for books to read
for a Savior that is sufficient to meet ALL my needs.
the promise that "He who called us is faithful, and he will do it" (1 Thessalonians 5:24)
I do not know what His plan is with my health and what the future holds, but whatever it is, I must always remember that He is faithful.
As a friend recently challenged me to focus on one thing I am thankful for each day, I too, extend that challenge to anyone that reads this... what are you thankful for?
No comments:
Post a Comment