Saturday, September 8, 2007

What we face, how I feel

I wrote this poem today...it was a relief to find some way, however poor, of expressing what is going on inside me.


The bottom falls through
My arms are flailing,
My head in spinning.
The word alone chokes me.
Tumor
The is the valley
I have become familiar with its sights
I have had to embrace the depths
Often there is only a dim light
Isolation
The silence is deafening but it fights
To take hold
And I long for the noise to press out
To force out
The thoughts that so seek to stifle my breath
Hope
Is this still to be grasped?
I’ve been told there are streams in this desert
But I only see drought.
Suffering of length now, the days are so long
Truth
I must cling to this. The promises stand strong
Even when, mostly when, I do not
I remind myself that my roots are deep within the rock,
Not shifting sand.
Grace
I stare the reality in the face
It appears ugly but endurance will erode this sight
Through Him, my heart is fixated and
there is no separating me from my Lord
Perseverance
Whether resolute or suspended by only a thread
It is Your arms, Your saving arms, I am pulled toward.

by Kate Wenzel

No comments: