Tuesday, October 2, 2007

A Guest Post!

My dear friend Abby has agreed to allow me to post some of her thoughts regarding "being real". I thought they were insightful and would be beneficial to share on here!

Perhaps it is due to our American culture that many people find it a struggle to be genuine or “real” with one another. I have discovered, and especially while I was in college, that many of us feel the need to portray a facade to the general public that they have everything under control and that life is dandy. I attended St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota (the town of cows, colleges, and contentment!), which was a highly positive experience for me. The student body, as a whole, was highly ambitious, extremely intelligent, and involved in numerous extracurricular activities, whether it be music, sports, volunteer commitments, Christian organizations, and so forth. Because the average student was talented, smart, and/or beautiful, I think everyone felt the pressure to DO everything and make it appear that this was normal and easy to do!
I am sure that I am not alone in the experience I had while in college. My guess is that others have stumbled across similar situations in other educational or occupational settings. Society today teaches us that we need to excel, get ahead, and hide any appearance of weakness or fear that lies within. Ultimately, this is human pride that is getting in the way of being real with one another.
Over time, God has humbled me much in this area and a certain, small book in the Old Testament, Obadiah, was what made this most clear to me. Obadiah was a prophet from Judah who announced the coming judgement of the Lord against the nation of Edom. He fortells,
“Behold, I will make you small among the nations; You shall be greatly despised. The pride of your heart has deceived you, you who dwell in the clefts of the rock, whose habitation is high; you who say in your heart, ‘Who will bring me down to the ground? Though you ascend as high as the eagle, and though you set your nest among the stars, from there I will bring you down, says the Lord.” (v. 2-4)
Edom held pride in their safety as a city, their wealth, self-sufficiency, allies, and wisdom. As the book of Proverbs also warns, pride is a sure route to destruction, and that is exactly what happened to the nation of Edom.
Although many of us struggle with pride, learning to be genuine with each other is one way to avoid pride and instead put on humility. This is one function of the body of Christ, to mourn with each other, be joyful with each other, pray with each other, and meet the specific needs each may have. This is impossible, or at least highly difficult, with an attitude that is reluctant to be open with others.
The Church could thrive to a greater degree by fostering a community of openness: by forming small group or Bible Studies, by encouraging accountability among its members, and in general practicing the example Jesus set for us in loving one another. And as we strive to become more like our Savior, the words of this song by Helen Lemmel will be reflected in our lives:
Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the Light of his glory and grace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YEAH! Obadiah