Sometimes I see that Christians have the most difficult time being real than any other people. I noticed this far more in Christian Organizations that I have been involved in previously, not as much currently.
But a recent occurrence brought this to my attention again. I am a real person. Whether that is good or bad...what you see is what you get. I hope and expect others to be the same. Why do we put on facades? Pride. I guess thinking back... I was a pro at putting on a mask. All the trials of the last few years have stripped me of this for the most part. I see no reason, no purpose in acting. We are all fallen, we are all in desperate need of God's grace and help from the body of Christ in someway or another.
How can we glorify the Lord when we are so busy trying to keep this act together, seamless and yet full of falsehood? How much more is God magnified when we are real, honest, and vulnerable with one another?
I have to note there is a balance. We cannot have our hearts be open territory to anyone and everyone. There is a need to "guard our heart". But I believe we can be real and yet still adhere to this wisdom.
I just am drawn to people who are real, genuine and honest. These are the qualities that really represent humility to me. But it does take such an effort after this world's harshness has made us wounded individuals.
From my conversation with two of my good girl friends last night... we see how much of our sin, our pride, our self-pity, our selfishness, etc is remedied by a focus on the Lord, by meditation on His incredible character and truth. It is the reality of seeing ourselves as we are...finite, unknowing, flawed individuals who undeservedly are saved by a infinite, all-knowing Lord.
I'll stop my rambling...
Humbled by my inability to grasp our Great God,
Kate
10 comments:
I think you are so right-on with what you are saying here, Kate. Thank you for that.
I think we, as human beings, have a long history of masking. It started with the fig leaves and we've been doing it ever since! But, my gosh, how freeing it is to be able to come to terms with our weaknesses and mistakes and recognize them as fertile ground for the strength and glory of God through us.
I share your sentiment about the difficulty of being real in Christian organizations. That has been my experience too somewhat. I suppose some of it is pride. But I think also it is the path of least resistance and also the default mode of performing Christian identity instead of just being a Christian.
Anyway, I'll end my comment with this quote:
"Spirituality looks like whatever you and I look like when we're thinking about Jesus, when we are trying to find Jesus, when we are trying to figure out what real Christianity looks like in the real world."
Blessings!
DP
I agree that being real is so important. Why live in the falsehood of life when we are free from that and can live in reality? What we seek always is the truth, whether we are trying or not. Why not reveal the truth about ourselves, allowing the sin and darkness to be melted by light, also allowing the godly characteristics to bring encouragement and hope to others.
It's time we start becoming comfortable with being uncomfortable and allowing the Spirit to do His work in and through us. Enough of this masking facade, let's get real!
That's all I've got for now.
How would you recommend starting down the path of 'being real'? For someone who has been so hurt, time and time again, even the attempt at trust is like peeling the scab off of a wound that has barely healed. Any scripture/books you would recommend?
It has been a little busy...but I will respond to the third comment shortly! :)
Thank you for the wonderful input ladies! :)
In Christ, Kate
Dana,
I loved your comment...but I am concerned with the quote you incorporated at the end...
if spirituality looks like something based off us... is it really Christian? Our standard cannot be what we look like when we are thinking of Jesus or trying to figure out Christianity but it looks like what the Holy Scripture says ... i am just very leery about that quote as it seems both relativistic and post-modern in nature.
In Christ Alone, Kate
Hey Kate,
I've been out of town, so I haven't been checking up on the blogosphere quite as frequently. I understand your concern with my quote, especially since there's no context. It's like showing someone a puzzle piece and trying to explain what the entire puzzle looks like when it's put together haha.
The point of the quote was that being a Christian is not like stepping into a body suit and zipping it up. And we're all walking around with matching body-suit uniforms, looking and acting the same, perpetrating facades of who and what we are. There are many things that should and will be the same, but our spiritual lives and our relationships with God won't be the same.
As relativistic and post-modern as it might sound, I think it's simply true that we are not the same person. We don't pray the same prayers. We don't think the same thoughts. We don't have the same trials. But we are both reaching for and worshipping the same God.
Does that makes sense?
if we are both looking for god but in different ways can we say that a muslim and a christian are looking for the same god in different ways?
I think every spiritual seeker is looking for the One True God (whether they know it or not), but ultimately Muslims and Christians are not worshipping the same God. We could get into the differences and whatnot, but I don't think it's necessary. On the other hand, I think Kate and I and a whole host of other countless Christians are indeed seeking and worshipping the same God. But that need not mean that our spiritual lives manifest in identical ways.
I think every spiritual seeker is looking for the One True God (whether they know it or not), but ultimately Muslims and Christians are not worshipping the same God. We could get into the differences and whatnot, but I don't think it's necessary. On the other hand, I think Kate and I and a whole host of other countless Christians are indeed seeking and worshipping the same God. But that need not mean that our spiritual lives manifest in identical ways.
This was some good discussion.
I love blogging not because I like seeing my thoughts out there really, but because in the past, blogging has really created opportunities for thought-provoking and heart-searching discussion. THANK YOU!
Post a Comment